The Singers is a chamber choir of around twenty five mixed voices based in Newcastle.
The choir draws its singers mainly from Newcastle and Northumberland but some singers travel considerable distances to participate in choir events.
The choir aims to maintain a sweetness and clarity of tone with impeccable tuning which is particularly appropriate for the earlier choral repertoire which is one of its specialities.
A high standard of musicianship and sight-reading is required as the group does not meet on a regular weekly basis largely owing to the numerous other musical commitments members.
The venues the choir has sung either in concert or for services include:
- Durham Cathedral
- Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
- Hexham Abbey
- St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh
- Southwark Cathedral, London
- St George’s, Windsor
- Coventry Cathedral
- Beverley Minster
- Ripon Cathedral
- Fountains Abbey, near Ripon
- Blackburn Cathedral
- Wakefield Cathedral
- The Sage Gateshead
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London
- Ushaw College, Durham University
- Kings Hall, Newcastle University
- Holy Trinity Church, Coventry
- Holy Trinity Church, Newcastle upon Tyne
- Simonburn Early Music Festival
- Alnwick Music Club
- Brinkburn Priory
- Bishop Auckland Castle
- Brancepeth Castle
- St George’s, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne
- All Saints, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne
- Seaton Delaval Hall
- Abbaye-aux-Hommes, Caen
- Coutances Cathedral
- Eglise Jean d’Arc, Rouen
- St Mary’s Basilica, Bonsecours
- Cologne Cathedral
- Basilica of St Aposteln, Cologne
- St Severin, Cologne
- St Georg, Cologne
- Gross St Martin, Cologne
- St Andreas, Cologne
- St Kunibert, Cologne
- St Ursula, Cologne
In addition to the above, The Singers have sung with the Northern Sinfonia under guest conductor Andrew Parrott in a performance of Haydn’s Harmoniemesse in Hexham Abbey. The choir has also for the past ten years or so joined the English Philharmonic Orchestra under David Haslam for the renowned annual Candlelit Christmas Concert Tour in a variety of north east venues.
The Singers also sang with the Paco Pena Flamenco Troupe in a thrilling performance of Paco Pena’s Requiem for the Earth at the Sage, Gateshead which was rewarded with a standing ovation.
The Singers after a concert in Rothbury, October 2018